The summer months usher in the home repair season. If you’re planning to repair or install a new roof, several key preparations can save you time and money. Summer is the ideal time for roof repair and replacement, but since there is a short window of optimal time for roof work, it may be necessary to prep the roof yourself.
- Do a complete roof inspection, preferably with a professional.
- Contact your city or county offices to get the proper licenses you will need for the project, if required.
- If the job is part of an insurance claim that is due to weather damage from the winter or spring, have an insurance adjuster come and make a report about the roof.
- Choose the proper roofing materials, whether it is shingles, a metal roof, tiles, or another durable roof. The correct materials should be able to withstand Maine weather.
- Remove all lose and damaged tiles or shingles.
- Secure all the roof boards. If you are hiring a roofer, he will probably do this. Check every board and make sure there are no nails protruding or other damage.
- Install the drip edge around the eaves of the roof. The drip edge should fold down around and out, so that water doesn’t enter through open eaves. If you are not sure how to do this step correctly, have the roofer complete it. It can cause a mess later if it leaks, and has to be replaced.
- Put down a layer of ice and water shield to protect the bottom layer. This will help your roof last longer and protect the frame.
Completing these simple steps will save roofers time and ensure that your roof will make it through many more snowy winters and wet springs. As a homeowner, you know that your roof is all that stands between you and the harsh elements.
The professionals at Horch Roofing can repair or replace your roof and guarantee that the job is right the first time. They work with a wide variety of materials so that your roof can weather just about any storm. Give Horch Roofing a call today at (207) 273-1111, for your summer roofing tasks.