As your home’s roof gets older, you may start to notice structural or aesthetic issues popping up that require some attention. Assessing the urgency and knowing when to repair the roof and when to replace it is not always easy. There are signs, however, that may determine whether budgeting for a new roof is in order or if it is time to call in a professional to help with the repairs.
It is very common for roofs to be repairable, which means you may not have to worry about replacing it just yet. The first step is always to have a roof inspection completed by a licensed professional to determine what is wrong and the severity of the issue. Don’t put off having this inspection once you start to notice changes in your roof. The sooner you can assess and define the issues, the more likely that repairs will be the option.
When Are Repairs an Option?
Whenever possible, your roof technician will handle repairs for your home. Repairs tend to be possible in situations where the issue is localized, rather than spread out across the entire structure. Also, if the area that needs a repair is inconspicuous, it may be easier to just have the shingles replaced in that one area.
It is also important to ask your roof technician a few key questions:
- If a roof repair is necessary and possible, will the new materials match well with and blend in with the existing materials?
- Is there structural damage present under the roofing repairs that may compromise the overall integrity of the roof? This may include, for example, damage to the wood structure.
- Will the problem happen again? If the problem is likely to reoccur, it may be more beneficial to replace the roof entirely.
When Is Replacement Best?
The age of the roof is a contributing factor since roofs over 15 years old tend to require more work on an ongoing basis.You also may need a new roof if:
- The damage is widespread.
- There are shingles that are peeling, curling, cracked, or loose that are showing their age
- There are signs of moisture damage
- The overall structural integrity is compromised
- The roofing material is no longer adequate for where you live.
The team at Horch Roofing can determine which option is best for you. You can easily fill out an online form for a free estimate or call us at 207-273-1111 to get a professional opinion on the condition of your roof.
Horch Roofing has been roofing homes on the coast of Maine since 2003. We serve the communities of coastal Maine from our offices in Warren and Westbrook. Horch Roofing installs metal roofing, asphalt shingle roofing, EPDM rubber roofing, and seamless gutters for both residential and commercial roofing projects.